Monday, May 14, 2007

More Idiotic Statements in the Press!

USA Today is celebrating their 25th year by having top 25 lists of things that have occured in that time. You can see the current list here.

While I disagree on a lot of this list, number 22 really got me fired up.

"

Jon Stewart on The Daily Show (1998)

No program better represents the emergence of "alternative news sources" than The Daily Show under Jon Stewart. Few comics have so firmly put their stamp on the news, and few shows have more adroitly addressed a skeptical audience"


Alternative news sources? Jon Stewart? The only way Jon Stewart is an alternative to the "mainstream" liberal left media is because he is also funny. If he had no sense of humor he would fit right in on the staff of the Clinton News Network.

Reading this you may think I am some kind of right wing whack job. I would define myself politically as more of a centrist than you would think. For one thing, what some people consider "right wing" I think is quite closer to the popular opinion in this country than to the right.

I tend to have my own outlook both politically and morally. I hold views that some would consider liberal, such as being pro-choice. But I also think abortion is a horrible thing that should be only used in the direst of circumstances, not for pregnancy free sex.

It just chaps my ass when outlets such as USA Today try to hide behind being an unbiased news source, then lean as far left as they do. What ever happened to reporting the facts, and leaving the editorial to the editorial pages?






1 comment:

Bpaul said...

I think that editorial or slant-free media is dead in this country, personally. It's a shame.

Where I find the mainstream media is left socially and right financially/corporately (if that's a word). Politically, I think they're wherever the wind blows.

You NEVER see labor news, for instance, but you always see stocks reported and big mergers.

I got this idea a while back because I knew so many folks who viewed mainstream media as leftist and then others who viewed it as right. And both sides had really good reasons for their opinions. Might be a decent way to explain this phenomenon.